Image Source: Wikimedia
Social Media Manager
Here is a quarantine workout.
Try to do three or four sets of ten to fifteen repetitions.
Equipment: 5 Pound Kettlebell, 20 Pound Dumbbells, 10 & 14 Pound Clubbells
Important note: DRINK lots of water! Do as many reps as you can but pace yourself. Listen to your body, and respect its boundaries.
Remember to warm-up! Whether it’s stretching or cardio, anything that gets your blood circulating works.
Bicep Curls w/ Dumbbells
- Make sure not to swing your arms when bringing the weight up
- Isolate the muscle through the movement
- Hammer curls or regular curls are good, whatever your preference
- Breathe in on the extension and exhale on the flexion
Kettlebell Side Raises
- Lighter weight is important because this exercise is very form centered
- Better form outweighs reps in this exercise
- Remember to bend your arm slightly and use your shoulder deltoids to create the momentum
- Avoid swinging with your core
Overhead Triceps Extensions
- I used clubbells but you can use dumbbells or anything with a comfortable weight
- Avoid using your shoulders
- Fully extend your arms on the way up and control the weight on the way down
- Try to keep your elbows as still as possible
- This can be a traditional chest push-up or a tricep push-up which keeps your arms along your body and is more advanced
- Maintain body position throughout the movement
- Stabilize through your core
- Make sure to come all the way down (almost to the floor)
- This can be weighted or not
- This is a compound exercise, meaning it incorporates your hips and knee joints
- Make sure your feet are hip width apart
- When in a squat, try to get your knees over your ankles and your thighs parallel to the ground (as much as possible)
Staying active is important, especially during times like these when stress levels are high, and it is easy to become inactive. Make sure that you do some form of exercise everyday to insure that you maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle, and to improve your mood. This is a complete body workout with some exercises that focus on movement and some which focus on power. I hope you enjoy it, and remember to stay safe and stay home. We will get through this!
Originally Published on www.bandersnatch.ca Vol.49 Issue 12 on April 1st, 2020